Thursday, May 3, 2012

Un-popped Popcorn...

My dad was reading The Youth's Instructor one day and ran across a very interesting story. I am going to share that with you today.

Harry and Eva Morse were on the floor one day, playing with their blocks" while their mother sat near, sewing.

Presently Harry stopped his play, and looking earnestly into the grate, said: "Mamma, you promised to pop some corn next time the fire looked just so. See, there's no black coal and no blaze. Will you, mamma? "

"Please, mamma, do pop some corn," said little Eva, dropping her blocks.

"Well," answered Mrs. Morse, "you may go and ask Bridget for the popper and an, ear of corn." 



The children came quickly back, Eva bringing the popper, and Harry the corn and a dish to put it in.

"Mayn't I shake it just a little?" asked Eva.

"No, dear," replied the mother; "you wouldn't do it fast enough, and the corn would scorch."

In a few minutes, it began to snap, snap, snap, in a most delightful manner. Eva clapped her hands merrily: "See, mamma," she cried, "they are turning wrong side out. Hear them laugh! See them jump!"



But Harry was in a brown study. Soon he asked, "Mamma, what makes the corn pop?"

"The heat causes it to swell until its skin cracks open," answered Mrs. Morse.

The little boy was silent a moment, evidently not satisfied, as he was quite a thinker for an eight year old.

"Mamma," he said slowly, "there must be something more, or else peas and beans would do the same; and they won't."

"How do you know?" questioned the mother, laughingly.


"I've tried it. I put two beans on the stove, and kept stirring them with the poker; but they just burned up - didn't pop a bit."

"Well," said Mrs. Morse, as she shook the second batch, "there is more than I said; but I didn't know as you would understand. Scientists --- that is, men who study into the "how's and whys" of things - have found that in every perfect kernel of popcorn there is a tiny drop of an essential oil that is highly explosive.



This oil is distributed through every particle inside the shining yellow coat. When the corn becomes hot enough, the oil explodes; and, as by shaking the popper the kernel is heated all over alike, every bit of oil explodes at the same instant, cooking the corn as well as changing its shape. You see the result, these delicious, beautiful things; we might call them snowflakes, they are so light and white and fairy-like."



As the corn was emptied into the dish, Harry noticed two or three unparched kernels.

"Why didn't they pop?" he asked.



"I suppose they are not quite perfect," was the reply.

"Didn't they have enough essential oil?"

"Probably not," answered the mother, musingly. Harry's questions had set her to thinking. Soon she called him to come and sit near her: "Do you understand what I said about the corn?" she asked.

"Yes," was the positive answer. "I understand all about it, and I won't forget."

"Well, I have been thinking of something else a, little like it. Perhaps we can talk it over, and both get some good. You remember visiting Aunt Hester Wakefleld?"

"I guess I do! Isn't she jolly, though? She likes boys; and she told me stories, and gave me cookies."

"Yes, she likes boys; but that isn't all. She loves everybody, and has as kind words and sweet smiles for the poorest as for her nearest friends. But there is old Mrs. Cole, who was here yesterday. What do you think of her?"

"I hope she'll never come again!" exclaimed, Harry. "If she does, I'll go and stay in the barn. She's crosser 'n a bear."

"Did she speak crossly to you?"

"Not exactly to me, but she talked real mean about boys; and her eyes looked as though they'd snap my head off. I don't like her one bit."

"Aunt Hester and Mrs. Cole were girls together," continued Mrs. Morse. "They went to the same school and church, and I have heard it said that Mrs. Cole was a livelier girl than Aunt Hester. But they have both had a great deal of trouble. Their husbands and children have died. Aunt Hester is feeble and poor, and Mrs. Cole is very lame. How differently has sorrow affected them!

The Bible compares sorrow to a furnace, and speaks of those who have suffered as having been tried by fire. That reminds us of the popcorn. The heat of sorrow has made Aunt Hester more and more lovely, while poor Mrs. Cole has only grown hard and bitter. Can you tell me why?"

"I guess, said Harry, thoughtfully," that Aunt Hester has had more essential oil."

"I guess so, too. And what shall we name it?"

"Goodness?" suggested Harry.

"Let us call it Christliness; for that means love, joy, peace, long-suffering and much more. Aunt Hester loved Jesus when a little girl, that was the starting point."



"And doesn’t Mrs. Cole love Jesus?"

"I am afraid not. She feels hard toward God for taking away her husband and children."

Harry's eyes filled with tears as he said, "I am sorry for her. I wish she loved Jesus."

"The love of Christ will help every one to bear trouble, little children, as well as grown people," continued Mrs. Morse. "And if we really have that love, all the trials of life will only increase it, and make us more like him. We cannot all be beautiful in face, but we can be beautiful in heart and life."

"Mamma," said Harry, solemnly, "I'll pray every day for God to put essential oil into my heart."

The Well-Spring


I don't want to be un-popped popcorn, do you? 


3 comments:

  1. Wow...that is an awesome object lesson! Thanks so much for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! You are welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many lessons here for us to learn. Praise God for teaching us!

    ReplyDelete