Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What Is Your Flavor?

I could smell the aroma coming from the big pot of pinto beans, the onions and the garlic, hmm, yummy! I couldn't wait to taste them, I love to eat the pinto beans when they are freshly baked! I got the spoon, and a bowl and took a couple spoonfuls. Then I got another spoon and took a big bite...and as I chewed I realized they were blah! They needed more salt desperately bad!!! That helps to give the beans it's flavor!!


Not my mom's beans :)


I can't help but think of what Jesus said in the Bible, "Ye are the salt of the earth." What on earth did He mean by that? How am I suppose to be like salt?




Salt is very tasty when you put it in certain dishes, but if you get to much salt the dish can be spoiled. Salt is also something the body needs, not a whole lot but a certain percentage, helps to make our body function. Some times we take salt for granted, but what if we had to go without salt? All of our food would become blah! That is the purpose of salt, making things taste better.



But, you may ask, how does this apply to me? Very good question, I'm glad that you asked! :) We must be like salt adding our influence or you could say flavor to this world. But we can also add a bad influence, or too much salt and then your example would be ruined.



Salt is not only used for flavoring food, there are different types of salt, one type of salt makes the ice melt on roads in the winter time. When I used to live in Wisconsin we would have to buy a bag for the winter time.



Well, like that salt must melt the hard and cold hearts of those around us. When the sun (Son, Jesus) hits it's rays on the salt it causes the ice to melt. So shall it be with us, when we pour our salt on someone else's life and leave a good influence, when the powerful Son hits that heart, the ice will begin to melt!





There are also different edible types of salt, such as Sea, Celtic, and Real salt. The Real salt and the Celtic salt have more mineral values in them then the Sea salt does. So you could say that we go through different stages of growth, at first are salt may not influence or melt that many people, but the longer that we are studying and praying and spending time with the Son, the more "mineral" value we will possess.



Another interesting thing is, the Celtic and the Real salt you will use less of, because they are a bit more salty in their taste. You may want to ponder on that one! :)

I believe that when Jesus said, "Ye are the salt of the earth." He meant that we (Christians) are the ones who are influencing others the most, by our example. Let us live up to the light that the Lord has given us, so that we may be called the salt of the earth. He also said that if "the salt has lost it's savor wherewith shall it be salted?"



In other words, if the salt would lose it's flavor, we couldn't use it to help make food taste good. So it will be with us, if we lose our connection with Jesus, how can we have a good influence on others?

I want to be salt, and not lose my flavor, how about you?





1 comment: