Thursday, May 31, 2012

Everything I Do...

I was reading this morning for my worship time in Patriarchs and Prophets; and what I read made me really start to think. I was reading about Samuel when he was a little boy and how he went about so cheerfully in the little duties. Ellen White says that if we were to look at our work as if Jesus commissioned us to do it, we would do it with more faithfulness (paraphrasing). Here is what she actually says.



It was not customary for the Levites to enter upon their peculiar services until they were twenty-five years of age, but Samuel had been an exception to this rule. Every year saw more important trusts committed to him; and while he was yet a child, a linen ephod was placed upon him as a token of his consecration to the work of the sanctuary. Young as he was when brought to minister in the tabernacle, Samuel had even then duties to perform in the service of God, according to his capacity. These were at first very humble, and not always pleasant; but they were performed to the best of his ability, and with a willing heart. His religion was carried into every duty of life. He regarded himself as God’s servant, and his work as God’s work. His efforts were accepted, because they were prompted by love to God and a sincere desire to do His will. It was thus that Samuel became a co-worker with the Lord of heaven and earth. And God fitted him to accomplish a great work for Israel. {PP 573.3}


If children were taught to regard the humble round of everyday duties as the course marked out for them by the Lord, as a school in which they were to be trained to render faithful and efficient service, how much more pleasant and honorable would their work appear. To perform every duty as unto the Lord, throws a charm around the humblest employment and links the workers on earth with the holy beings who do God’s will in heaven. {PP 574.1}


We should do everything, even dishes, dusting, and whatever else you might do throughout the day, as you would do it for Jesus. And I especially don't like dusting! : ) Dishes are alright but you have to admit they're a job that never ends! But if I were to view as, "This is a job that Jesus gave me to do right now." Then maybe those chores wouldn't seem so bad after all.




And maybe if I turn the time I do them into a prayer time, spending it with Jesus, it would make it even more special! Hmm, I have to try that today! : )

But there is something more to just seeing it as a job, it is seeing it through spiritual eye salve. Seeing it in a way you never thought of before. Not only should we keep in mind that we are doing the job for Jesus, but also that other worlds are looking on to see how we will act, or how well of a job we will do. Faithfulness in the little things.



And another thing is, I believe the Lord is testing us. I mean if He gives us these little jobs to do and we can't do them nice and clean and right the first time, how can we expect the Lord to give us bigger responsibilities? It is in the little things that we are tested, and once we have overcome those, we get bigger challenges, bigger testing, but if we can't keep up with the footman how can we expect to run with the chariots? Did you know that is a verse in the Bible?



You know that is a verse in the Bible that says, "Well done good and faithful servant." How can we expect the Lord to say that to us, when we aren't faithful in the little things. Ouch! That hurt, because I know that I'm not always careful about the little things!



But if we put Christ into everything that we or should I say everything that I do, maybe we will do the job with a new determination. After all we are looking on the job as if Jesus Himself told us to do that job! And if He asks us to do it, we know for sure that it is important!

I know it won't be easy for me, but I am going to pray about it and try with Jesus help to be more faithful, even in the tiny things!

I want to be faithful in the little things, don't you?


2 comments:

  1. Amen! We all need to be more faithful in the little things we do and Jesus will help us to do it!

    ReplyDelete