Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lessons From A....Mirror?

I stood there, looking in the mirror, amazed... To think that a piece of glass can perfectly reflect my image back to me. I started thinking, "If a mirror can do this, why can't people?" I then forgot about my whole intercourse with myself and went to do other things. Later that week, in my Science book, I was reading about concave lenses and the whole story of how it was discovered. Then I really started to wonder... "Is God trying to tell me something here?" And then right there, staring me in the face was the answer, my Science book then brought out the spiritual applications of "Reflecting" and I have to admit I was spell bound.

Usually when we look in a mirror, we don't generally think about what is staring back at us. And we usually don't take the mirror and try and clean off the dirty spots. And most people when they stop looking in the mirror, they forget how they look!

Well believe it or not, I have a mirror made out of paper! That's right, paper! Can you guess what it is? And if so, do you have it? Well before you answer those questions, let me give you some clues.

The first clue is....it was spoken by God. Guess it yet?
The second clue is...it was written by God's finger, (and later by Moses.)

Now I'm sure that you must have guessed what my paper mirror is...The Bible! But there is a mini mirror that is more specific that I'm talking about...The Ten Commandments! Otherwise known as The Law.

The Law is meant to be a reflecting mirror, letting us know what we need to change in our lives, but just like the mirror it does not clean us! We must pray and work with Christ in order to be truly clean! And just like a regular mirror, we can walk away from The Law and forget what sins we need to change! The Bible too is a reflecting mirror and it also shows us the right way to go, and how to clean the rough spots.

I heard a story, which probably you have heard, of a man visiting the blacksmith shop, he was watching the blacksmith as he was working on a piece of gold, and he asked, "How do you know when the gold is done?" The blacksmith turned and smiled and said, "Oh, that's easy when I see my image in it I know that it is done."

Our heart is a mirror also, and all we see, do, hear, and everything else, decides what image will be there! If we meditate on God's Word, and pray, we will soon have the image of Jesus. And sometimes we have to pass through fiery trials, but when we are refined, Jesus will be able to see His image in us! And then, just like a mirror, we can reflect that light to others!

I want to be a mirror, don't you?

2 comments: